Friday, December 4, 2009

Shealoe with a splash of grapefruit

So I bought my shea butter yesterday in preparation for making shealoe. Today I bought George Aloe Gel, Aura Cacia Grapefruit essential oil, EGem vitamin E and some Castor Oil that I may use for blackhairplanet castor oil challenge 2010. I was able to easily mash up the shea butter with a funky curved fork that I have had forever. It’s very strong and heavy and the curving allowed it to fit the shape of the bowl making stirring and mashing easy so absolutely no heating/melting was necessary. This added to the fact that I was chilly; I try to keep my heat set at 62-65 unless it’s really cold; so I was sitting near the space heater. Holding the glass bowl in my hand while I stirred allowed the natural body heat, as well as the heat from the space heater, to warm and soften the butter just a bit more.











Then it was time to pull out the hand mixer; so glad I already had one of these in the house. I remembered reading to only use one blade. Actually, I thought I would have to but once I started I realized that one blade was not a smart choice. I felt like I was in a rodeo trying to hold the bowl and hold the mixer! Butter started to fly around the room even though I truly know how to mix with a hand mixer. Once I added the second blade, which to my surprise did fit the bowl, it was much easier to hold on…I was able to stay on the horse!!! LOL.













Oh yes!!! After about 10-15 mins of adding ingredients (aloe gel and a bit of evoo) I finally got a good consistency. After this I added the grapefruit eo, it took more of this then I expected. But now, it definitely looks like whipped cake frosting and smells oh, so good! I really had to resist the urge to taste the frosting…uh butter a few times when I got some on my fingers. Instead I just rubbed in. By the time I finished not only did I have a great smelling, luxurious feeling, whipped butter, I also very soft hands. Oh, I was able to finally use just one blade of the mixer once I had a softer consistency of the butter.

I bought these cheapie containers with twist top, something you don’t see much of anymore, at the dollar to put the shea butter in. Is this a good idea or should I be using a glass container? I hope somebody reads this and responds. I guess this is a good use for these containers since it says not for microwave or dishwasher, wow!


Guess I could have made a bit more uh? I only used half of the shea butter because I was afraid of messing up. Maybe next week I’ll go ahead and make the rest and just put it all together.














So, wrapping up, next time:
*Mash the shea butter with my special fork, though I think any fork will do.
*Start off with both blades of mixer and add aloe vera gel a little at a time.
*Once the consistency is nice and creamy it’s ok to remove one blade, if you want.
*Add drops of vitamin E, I added about 10 drops and mixed a bit more.
*Add some evoo, or oil of choice to smooth out more. By now it should be looking good and whipped so stop or keep going until you find the consistency you want.
*Lastly, add essential oil of choice, though not necessary, for fragrant goodness. I used grapefruit oil, hmmm smells soooooo good!














I can’t wait to do my hair in the morning! I am so excited to see how my hair likes this mix.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I am just getting my blog started also, so I Am happy to be your fist follower. My twin brother id my first follower (LOL)...I don't know if that's sweet or a sad (wink).
    I am very impressed with your effort here. I've tried making something with shea butter in the past and had bad results. SO, I can't wit to try this recipe. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much and good luck with your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mixing and mashing in the kitchen - the only way to go! I know a natural woman who makes this and sells it for skin and hair. I'm not sure if she's still at it but let me know if you want her info. I am launching my all natural conditioner store in Jan. so I'll keep you informed on that. Keep up the great work. Your hair will love it!

    My best, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot.
    the salvation diet by chris walker

    ReplyDelete